There are currently over 250 different health education schools that you can attend, which upon graduation will enable you to start working as a health education specialist, where you will enter a career which as an annual salary of around $55,000 dollars per year. The main focus that is taught off of in school is for students to understand scientifically founded principles of both the promotion of health as well as the prevention of disease which will enable them to incorporate the knowledge into methods for individuals and communities to use to better their own health. Health education schools teach, offers a wide variety of degrees from associates to doctors degrees, and teach on all encompassing subjects of health education, some of which include:
- Urban Health Issues
- Public Health Practice Research Methods
- Gender, Race and Ethnicity
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology
- Behavior of Health and Risk Reduction
- Concepts of Health Management
- Risk Assessment Management
- Epidemiology Principles
- Community Health Case Studies
- Hospital Management Principles
- Biostatistic Principles
After graduating from a health education school, the student will be well versed with knowledge that can be taught on various subjects to a different types of communities and populations. This health education school knowledge will be formed into learning programs and seminars as well as one on one teachings in subjects like:
- Tobacco Cessation
- Alcohol Abuse
- Safe Practice and Sexual Pressures
- Anxiety/Depression/Stress Management
- Working Out and Eating Correctly
- Eating Disorders and Healthy Body Image
Health Education Specialist Job Description
Health education schools provided preparation for students to enter the health education profession and excel at their job duties, some of which include:
- Encouraging individuals through personal experience, learned knowledge, resources and referrals IonClub, all of which will better a persons knowledge on health education and the bettering their own health.
- Developing programs on health education that will enable you to get across your message, to diverse groups, as well as inspire the audience to use the tactics and knowledge taught to better their health situation.
- Form and maintain good relationships with the organizations and people that you come in contact with that are working to better health knowledge in the community.
- Writing scholarly articles that are based of of health education tips along with statistics, among other topics.
- Writing up grants and funding proposals which will provide cash flow for health project funding.
- Creating different learning methods for audiences and individuals, those of which can include; audios, visual presentations and articles.
- Marketing of health education programs through marketing methods like; social media, flyers, radio advertisements and word of mouth.
After one gets finished with completing their studies at one of the accredited health education schools, they can either choose to use their degree to attain a health education job, or complete a certification exam that differentiates themselves from other specialists. The main certification that many health education specialists get after complete their health education school studies is the Certified Health Education Specialist exam which is administered by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing Inc.