Community health education is the promotion of good habits that enable on to lead a healthy lifestyle of various fronts, being physical and emotion among others, and draws its teaching from various categories of science like those including; environmental, biological, medical as well as physical. Community health education knowledge is provided with a goal and mission of educating individuals, families, communities and more on the prevention of disease as well as premature death along with, improve their overall quality of life through different forms of learning, all of which develop both short and long term habits and behaviors for health success as well as empower them to stick with these habits and behaviors through thick and thin. The teaching will most importantly teach and enable on to gain back the control needed to avoid or say no to factors that inhibit positive change in peoples health, which can include social, personal as well as political inhibitors.
Where is Community Health Education Taught?
Community health education is taught by certified health specialists in different work settings, some of which include:
- Organizations in the community.
- Non profit agencies.
- Federal agencies.
Community Health Education Graduate Capabilities
When it comes to the job description of a community health educator, there are many duties that encompass the profession. Some of these capabilities that a health specialists will gain from their schooling as well as be doing in their daily job description will include:
- The ability to work in different areas of the community, with all different walks of life comfortably.
- Assessing what the community health education needs are for different ages, genders as well as ethnicities and social statuses. This will include designing a program that caters to these different areas that will allow the specialist to communicate their message to their audience.
- The development as well as the implementation of programs that educate as well as provide resources and strategies that give people in the community the capability to improve their health in different areas such as; smoking cessation, weight loss and control, methods for coping with anxiety and depression, early detection of diseases, alternative therapy, knowledge about safe sexual activity as well as avoid STD’s,
- The overall communication of the mission and vision that involves bettering the health of the community.
- Writing up grants as well as funding proposals which will enable the community health education specialist to be able to fund their education program.
- Promotion of health through various marketing campaigns like social media, audios, flyers, radio announcements, and word of mouth.
- Writing articles on public health for publication.
- Networking and collaborating with organizations as well as individuals who are health conscience and looking to spread the work on optimal health.
Community Health Education Degree
For those looking to become a health specialist in your community, there are a few prerequisites one must have that include:
- At least a Bachelors degree in studies like; community health, public health, wellness studies or similar. These community health education programs will consists of teaching that includes; planning health education programs, program evaluation, the health of the environment, laws and ethics of health care, currently health issues, statistics about health and assessment of community health.
- Although a Bachelors Degree is the minimum requirement for a community health education job, one may want to consider attaining a Masters Degree as higher education has shown to be a big factor in career advancement.
Although not required, a valuable certification status to have is the Certified Health Education Specialist title, which is a title that is given to graduates of CHES accreditation exam administered by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing.